Thread: Alarm system
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
spinhead
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z BS 6MT
spinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond reputespinhead has a reputation beyond repute

I've got Viper 5901 installed and remote start works with my MT. There is a procedure for arming the remote start. You park the car, while it's still running release the clutch (this ensures that the shifter is in neutral), while holding the brake pedal engage the hand brake, then release brake pedal. Then you push the remote start button the remote. The remote responds letting you know it's ready for remote start mode. You get out of the car (car is still running), close the door, lock the car (arm the alarm). It shuts down the car and the remote start is now armed. If you unlock the car and open a door, the remote start is automatically disengaged.

Two downsides:
1. Lets say you remote start the car. Once you unlock the car and open the door, the engine turns off. You then have to start it again. The shop tech explained why they had to do it that way but I forget exactly why.
2. The car is locked after you arm the remote start, and the alarm is enabled and all that. But, once you remote start the car, the door locks get unlocked. The alarm is still armed though, and it WILL go off if you forget to disarm the alarm and just pull the door open. So this means someone could just open up your car while it's idling out there.