Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #171 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Re: oil changes and oil cooling:

It's about time for my next oil change (it's about 200 miles out now, which is really nothing for me, by monday for sure). I had been hoping to see what oil cooler kit upgrades Stillen came up with before this change, but looks like they're not quite ready yet. Apparently their original kit is out of stock right now as well, so I can't even get that here in time as an alternative for now. I strongly considered picking up the GTM one, but really I don't want to get into the install issues with that one, being a universal kit.

In any case, I do have the oil change supplies and AAM's VQ37 oil pan spacer here in my garage, which should add some capacity and help a bit for now. I think I'm going to just go forward with my change without a cooler (again) this time around while I wait out the Stillen situation, and maybe do my next change earlier than necessary as soon as the cooler becomes available (and say ouch at the $$ on an extra Motul change).

On a related note, I was calling several Stillen resellers today trying to find anyone that might have an oil cooler kit in stock somewhere that nobody knows about. One of the shops did have one of the official Nismo 370Z coolers (21300-SS370) in stock and on hand to look at, which was surprising considering it seems like nobody here has first-hand info on this kit. They said they ordered 3 and had gotten just 1 in so far, were planning to use it on their in-house car but were willing to sell to me.

I passed on it at $795, but did get to confirm some details over the phone from the guy who had it in his hands: Yes, it's a Setrab core, and a larger one than the 19 row unit in the current Stillen and GTM kits. The sandwich plate is not a thermostatic model, it's just straight though (which was a negative point for me, esp at that price). Also the guy commented on the lines looking larger diameter than the Stillen ones, but I think that's just eyeballing, I don't know what the sizes of either are specifically. If someone's seriously interested in trying to pick this up from them before they put it in their own car, send me a PM.