View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

The Z is perfectly drivable in snow if you mount winter tires. DO NOT drive in snow with summer tires! There are many, many threads on winter Z driving if you use the search function. The main limitation is the ground clearance which turns the Z into a snowplow if the snow is more than 4" deep. I had no problems at all last winter. This winter had record levels of snowfall and a couple times I had to swap cars and keep the Z in the garage (eg during the 20" snowfall blizzard last month). Some will suggest you buy a POS $1000 junk car to drive in the winter. If you have parking space and the extra money, that's a good option. However, you can certainly get away with the Z in the winter as long as you're willing to have an alternate plan on those rare, freak snowfall occasions. If you're in a rural area that's poorly plowed and has very deep snow, I'd strongly recommend a second SUV beater for the winter instead of the Z. Winter is tougher on cars with the potholes and road salt, but weekly car washing with an undercarriage spray has kept my Z looking pristine.

As a winter Z driver, these are the issues. Period. Anything else people say is just their own conjecture and you should probably ignore it. I'd ignore snow driving opinions from people living in California . (yes, I might be a little jealous)