View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #102 (permalink)
BLM
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Silver M6 sport
BLM will become famous soon enough

I hear what you're saying, but you're stating something obvious. A 5.0 Liter motor with 1300 more cc making 100 more hp than the Z will beat it around an extended road course with a highly skilled driver. The fact of the matter is that most people with fast cars can't drive them. I'm not a pro, but i'm certainly not an amateur. I remember when I first starting tracking cars even Miata's scared the crap out of me. Even with a GTR and its hi tech awd it takes a very good driver to get anywhere near the car's potential around a track. The Z is a pure sports car. The mustang is a muscle car with a lot of handling upgrades and aggressive gearing. Just because they're in the same price range doesnt mean they should be compared. And in terms of a Z beating an M3? Again with pro drivers it would be more disparate than with anything else. Unless you or I can duplicate these performance numbers, it's all a theoretical argument. But again you're comparing cars with difference in pricetag of $30,000 and 90-100 hp. A more appropriate comparison would be against an E46 M3, which was still drastically more expensive than a sport or even Nismo Z.

It's apples and oranges really. It's a matter of preference. I'd never drive a Mustang, and I know many people would never drive a Z. And aside from the true Ford/Mustang enthusiasts who track their cars, I think we all know these are going to end up in the hands of teenagers slapping on loud, powerful bolt-ons and ripping it down their local pike. If it were me, i'd throw a roll cage on, add some coilovers, make it breathe a little better and lighten it up as best I can. But that's my preference for what I like to do. And I still dont know if i'd get the same feel as I do with the Z. It's not all numbers and specs. It's how you feel in the car and the driving experience it gives you, which is unique for everyone.

Last edited by BLM; 03-07-2011 at 11:23 AM.
BLM is offline   Reply With Quote