View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
houkouonchi
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '14 GT-R '10 M6 370z
houkouonchi has a spectacular aura abouthoukouonchi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
I religiously followed the manuel pertaining to break in on my new short block. It took me three awful and boring months to do. I started my new oil consumption test 200 miles ago. I am using a quart every 1000 miles currently. I am beginning to think, "drive it like you stole it" is correct break in method.
I generally kept the rpm under 4k for the first 2k miles except that I completed the break-in period much quicker (2 weeks?). I got an oil change right at 2k and since then have had 2 more and just now (closing in on 14k miles) i am burning oil for the first time. I am only a few hundred miles from my next oil change and my oil level has gradually gone down from about the 80% mark on the dip stick (right after the oil change) to the 60% mark.

I am glad mine is not burning much oil. My dad's 350Z burned oil from the day he got it and his engine died at 120k. My previous car (subaru impreza) burned oil from the day I got it and engine died at 50k miles due to it suddenly burning oil much faster and it burned through all the oil ruining the engine...
houkouonchi is offline   Reply With Quote