Thread: fiberglass box
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
37Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z MB 6M -sold
37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute37Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default fiberglass box thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by im89 View Post
hey im making a fiberglass box for my z...how much layers of fiber glass is good enough. Im putting it in the left corner of my trunk i taped it up. so far i have 3 layers. Would it crack if i just left it at 3 layers?
I'm sure others that have fab up a fiberglass box can respond (see chops post).

I would guess that 3 layers, depending on the thickest of the fiberglass cloth, would be adequate for the side & rear if the box is attached to the rear hatch indent. The front braced area (most use a MDF ring) where the sub woofer is mounted, may need additional layers. You could gelcoat the outside of the box so the fiberglass cloth does not show through. Other fiberglass posts add putty (bondo) and paint. You may want to cushion the backside of the sub box where it butts up against the plastic trim panel to avoid rattles/squeaks. Also, you should consider adding a mounting strap/velcro so it does not move for safety reasons.

Last edited by 37Z; 01-28-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: punctuation
37Z is offline   Reply With Quote