View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Baer383
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: My foot up your azz
Baer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond reputeBaer383 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
^ Did you work on your existing set and endured some down time? Also, did you use the heat gun method to separate the housing? I wonder if it's safer than the oven method. My current headlights started to develop some stress cracks, and the paint cracked and is spewing some caramel-like substance near the turn signal.
I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet and wet towel heated them up to 250-260 deg for 10 minutes and it came apart,as far as down time I don't drive my car in the winter I work on it so it doesn't really matter how long it takes.One thing that I'm not sure if guys are doing it is to use easy-off oven cleaner(yellow top)to remove the chrome then you have clear plastic to prep and the paint will adhere,my painters at work(I work in a body shop)also used adhesion promoter to make sure the paint has something to stick to.The caramel-like substance is more than likely melted paint.

754 rwhp 747 rwtq