Thread: Short shifter
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
crash1369
Enthusiast Member

Drives: C300 - 6spd
crash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holliday View Post
Not me Mine came off easy. No crazy tools or anything like that. I still have it if anyone ever needs a replacement
I hate you

You had said yours came off easily someplace else, right before I tried to get mine off. You got my hopes up... and Damn was mine a bitch to get off! It didn't even just break loose and then unscrew, it fought me the entire length of the thread. I was waiting for the shifter to snap before the damn knob came off
But it's done now

The only shifters I have found are the AMS, B&M, TWM, and ebay (there are a few I'm not sure if their all the same or not)
I have heard good things about all of them, except the ebay ones which I haven't heard anything about. I wish I could actually sit in a car with each and feel them, that's really the only way to tell but that's probably not an option.

Here are my thoughts on each, I have no personal experience with any of them yet so this is just based on what I have been able to gather on the interwebs. So these theories are open to debate
  1. It may not really matter, but I don't like the fact that you need modify the B&M. The fact that it is easy to do is irrelevant, that tells me it was just adapted to work and not actually made for our application. I haven't seen any details about the bushings or anything though?
  2. As far as I can tell the AMS appears to just be a shorter OEM shifter. So that has some obvious benefits, and if you were happy with the stock feel I would guess it would be a good choice. It also has some adjust-ability built in which could be nice, but I would just rather not have the ability to adjust it.
  3. The TWM looks good. I like their claims of a superior feel, it has metal bushings and stuff and sounds like an excellent choice. But it's also the most expensive and I am not sure it's that much better.
  4. Then there is the ones on ebay, which of course have really no information available. but they look exactly like the B&M, although that could be because they just leached the picture, who knows. Their cheap as hell and could even be worth the gamble, if it didn't mean having to do the install twice. That's more of an issue then the money.
I am leaning towards the TWM but if the B&M has better bushings and stuff them OEM it might be worth getting out the files to save a little money? I wish I could find some information on the ebay ones, or even one person who has one because their like $50-$60 I just don't want to be bothered tearing the car apart twice if it turns out to be junk.
"At no point during your rambling, incoherent response did you ever come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul."
crash1369 is offline   Reply With Quote