Thread: Short shifter
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
kellyefields
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Supercharged
kellyefields is a glorious beacon of lightkellyefields is a glorious beacon of lightkellyefields is a glorious beacon of lightkellyefields is a glorious beacon of lightkellyefields is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post
Can someone elaborate on what modifications you have to do with the B&M one?

I've driven 240s with B&M shifters and they are really solid... I think I would go with one of them mainly because of that. And they've been making shifter for the last like 40 years.

Any help would be great!
I put the B&M in about a month ago and love it. It feels strong and it is diffently a shorter throw. As far as the modification a metal file and about two minutes you will be done. The instructions are very clear. Like everyone else on here the boot linkage is hell trying to get back on. Here is a helpful tip have help from above. I was on my back and had the front of the boot ( the front being towards the front of the car) in place and had my wife use two pairs of pliers grip the ears of the back of the boot and pull it into place while I held the front in place. It popped right into place the first time, this after me fighting with it for about 20 min before she got home. But my experince with the B&M is nothing but good. If feels great IMHO. Also a trick to take off the shift knob without destroying it is to use a oil filter strap (one of those that uses a strap and you use a socket to tighten or loosen it) use some soft shop towels and place the strap low on the knob, about halfway on the metal of the knob and before the ball. Use vice grips below the knob on the shaft to keep from twisting the linkage and apply slow steady force on the socket until it spins freely. You should be able to get it off without damage. Rep points if this helps anyone
kellyefields is offline   Reply With Quote