View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #66 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf370z View Post
Further proof that there's nothing wrong with a v8 and they shouldn't have a problem making it work with the car. It's a logical step in my opinion, Nissan is starting to reach the limits of a normal V6's displacement. Plus, such a big, NA v6 is just sort of a weird thing. It's not small enough displacement to where it needs a turbo in order to make up for the lack of displacement, but at the same time it's not going to produce as much torque as an NA v8 would. Don't get me wrong, I love the VQ37, it performs EXTREMELY well and makes a lot of power for an NA v6. But at the same time the VQ37 seems a bit out of place in a performance-oriented vehicle, imo.

So from 240z to 260z to 280z/x to 300zx (.2L increments), to 350z (.5L) to 370z (.2), I suspect the next logical step is 390z? But that just sounds weird and not as "catchy" as the other Z models. That's why I'm voting for a 400zx or 420z, or even 560z. They already have the 5.6L developed why not use it?
I don't think the displacement is such an issue. A V8 is just better, and easier to make more power with. You can only flow so much through a set of heads, and if you add 2 more pistons, you get more headflow. Larger valves just waste more space in a head after a certain point, and you need another cylinder rather than just increasing bore/enlarging valves and wasting space. An engine is just an air pump.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote