Thread: Kids n 370s
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #176 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMSmith View Post
You are a silly child who has blown your whole wad on a car you can only afford because your parents are still feeding you Gerbers.
^ he makes a good point. Family and a house are way more expensive than a car. i know a guy that owns several corvettes porsches and whatnot and races and all that and spends a ton of money on cars. He says he chose cars over having kids (he has no kids), and he thinks he made the wrong choice. Just some perspective.

I don't pretend for a second i would have bought my Z if my parents weren't still letting me live with them. The reason 'm living with them is to help me save more money for a house and not have to be stuck putting 5% down with a huge mortgage that will take me forever to pay off. if someone is living at home to 'save' money but spending all that money on cars, then that is dumb. but if they are living at home, and want a car, and decide to get a sports car instead of an economy car, whats the big deal? you guys make it sound like its 30-40k for the car out of nowhere. its not.

if you need a car, and you want something new but practical you're going to be spending anywhere from 15-25k. lets take an altima for example. if a kid is living at home, and bought an altima i wouldn't go up to them and say 'DUDE WTF why are you wasting all your money on safe family sedans you dumb kid!' no of course not. but they spend 10k more on a Z and all of a sudden its like OMG. yes a Z does cost 30-40k OTD, but its only 10-15k more than some other, more practical car they might have been considering. and 10-15k if someone is living at home, working a good job, saving MOST of their money, may set them back only a few months in terms of being able to save enough money to move out. so whats the big deal?

There are plenty of worse ways to waste money then on cars. I for one, thing paying a ton of rent every month just to say you don't live at home is a waste of money. my brother is a prime example. he has been so adamant about not living home since he left for college, and he never moved back. meanwhile, he's paying 1900 a month for a small 1 bedroom in manhattan. he has saved less than 15% of what i have saved, living at home, making less money than him, and owning a Z. so no, i can't say i have 'moved out' so i guess i'm not an 'adult.' However, when i do move out, i know for sure i won't be having to come back. where as i don't know what kind of place he is going to buy with his savings. or, maybe i should move out now, and waste money on paying rent every month? or maybe buy a place that i will want to move out of in 3 years and waste 50% of my monthly payment on mortage interest and taxes on a house i dont want, so i can prove to the world that i'm independent. there's PLENTY of people i know that have moved out b/c they are too independent to live at home. then they move back when they are 26 because they have no savings and can't afford to buy anything. so who is more 'independent'? the person who lived at home till they were 24-25 and buys their own place, or the person who lived elsewhere and at 26 can't afford to buy a place because they were too concerned with having their mature independent friends come over to have pretentious, wine and cheese parties and talk about how mature they are.

Last edited by Jeffblue; 12-19-2010 at 10:50 AM.