Thread: Kids n 370s
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #84 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjaden View Post
You are absolutely correct. The teenager being bought the car is not at fault in this situation, it is the parents who are being totally irresponsible.

When I see a young guy driving an expensive car that was obviously bought for him, my first thought is "Parents must be a couple of idiots".
Why? To them, shelling out 40K might be like some poor family scraping togather for a beater. Why does everyone with money who chooses to spend any of it have to be "an idiot"? Wouldn't the fact that they are successful enough to have that money indicate just the opposite, or is having less money now indicative of superior intelligence?

I really don't get this thread. It sounds to me like a lot of people would be happier in a country like China where they wouldn't have to contend with people who have more than them nearly so often.

I grew up in a household that hovered above the poverty line, was on foodstamps for a few months, lived in govt. housing. I must be a damn genius for it, no? Or rather, a few of my family members made stupid decisions, didn't have an education or a good job, and it landed me in a world of "have-nots" for a while. I think I'll pick the latter, more reasonable option. But I didn't hate my friends with new mustang GT's or BMW's or whatever they had (nor did they wreck them). I just drove my old beat-down cop car and gazed longingly at C&D and R&T magazines in the library.

My "rich friends"?

They are just as successful as I am. The only difference was that they never had the "have-nots" that I did growing up. Their parents inspired them, and they inspired me. I think the only reason people dislike others because of them having more is because they accept that deep-down, they aren't as good as that person that has more because they think they can't do what it takes to have more.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 12-16-2010 at 09:09 PM.