View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #354 (permalink)
rj45
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary Z
rj45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
My 2001 F-body was just as fast as the 2010 F-body. GM failed regarding the 5th gen.

I heard the Z28 will correct interior shortcomings. If it does, then it might be something. However, I regard the 5th gen F-body as an excercise in failure. The 2005 mustang GT was WAY! better than the 2004. The 2011, way better than the 2010. The new F-body---well, I would buy a moth-balled 2002 before I would buy a new 2010. I think they look better, and they perform AT LEAST as well.
I have to disagree regarding the new Camaro...it's not a failure, IMO. The car certainly isn't perfect, but it has a lot going for it. It's a striking design and the overall build/fit-n-finish is noticeably improved compared to previous generations. Actually, it's not even close. The chassis is way more rigid...the car finally has a solid, quality feel. True, the straight-line performance isn't as good as it could be, but it's not a slug, either. Overall handling is improved, it corners with more confidence and rides well. The IRS is a welcome addition (except for the drag guys). The Brembo brakes are beefier, too. Of course, a pony-car is not a pure sports car, never will be.

My pop had one for about a year. He's more of a truck guy, so he traded it for another truck, but he did like the car. Looks are subjective, but the car got compliments everywhere he went, even a year after introduction. When new, my previous gen F-body never got anywhere near as many positive remarks. Personally, I think the new car is much sharper looking. The interior? Well, I don't think the design is as good as it could be, though the seats are well done. I also like the gauges and the door panel design. The radio/HVAC console does need a redo, IMO. Impressively, the new interior is drum tight and rattle-free, a big improvement over old.

So, I think it's a stretch calling the new car a failure. Again, it's not perfect...it's big/heavy, certain interior design elements need attention, performance is only good, not great and visibility is poor, but the new Camaro is no disgrace, IMO. It's a significant improvement over old.

My $0.02

Last edited by rj45; 10-20-2010 at 09:16 AM.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote