Thread: VDC...off?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

1. Don't turn off VDC and 'test the waters' unless you are on a track, doing an AutoX, or in a deserted parking lot. While everyone THINKS they have quick hands and can catch a slide, they can't until they've practiced.
2. VDC does not make going fast impossible...it just demands that a driver keeps the car balanced and smooth. I had the opportunity of doing hot laps in a 370Z with a professional driver during a track day. They had R-compounds on the car and he was driving like you wouldn't believe. When we pitted, I asked if he had VDC off and he had no idea what I was talking about. Looking at the dash, the VDC light wasn't illuminated (VDC was 'on' the whole time). He was able to drive so smoothly and with such balance that the car never even noticed. My Z has probably never lapped as fast as he was that day.
3. VDC 'off' is not unmanageable but you have to have quick hands to catch slides. If the rear end starts to rotate and you sit there saying "hmmm, feels like the back end is sliding. I wonder how far it will slide. I wonder if I should give a little opposite lock. Ok, here is a little opposite lock. Oh $hit, the back end is still sliding and even a bit faster now. I'll try some more opposite lock and maybe lift off the gas too (a bad idea)..."...YOU'RE COOKED.

I've found that I have very quick hands during an AutoX event because I'm expecting slides and my senses are heightened. However, if the rear end gets loose any other time, I'm not nearly as quick. A racing technique book I read recently suggested that top drivers prefer to induce a bit of slide because they will then both know when it's happening and be more prepared to deal with it (no surprise factor).

Short answer, keep VDC on unless you're on the track, in an empty parking lot, or doing an AutoX.

Last edited by spearfish25; 10-04-2010 at 07:55 AM.