Thread: A/C and WOT
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #78 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
@ZSteve. Last try ...

Frankly I don't know what sense you are using "acceleration". Acceleration in the normal sense doesn't have anything essential to do with how much gas you have to give the car to maintain forward motion. Acceleration is not the amount of power you put to the tires to move the car forward. Acceleration is an *increase* in speed. If you accelerate up to a specific speed then if you maintain that speed -- say 65 -- you are no longer accelerating.

Did you read that wikipedia link?

From Acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

"In physics, and more specifically kinematics, acceleration is the change in velocity over time. Because velocity is a vector, it can change in two ways: a change in magnitude and/or a change in direction. In one dimension, i.e. a line, acceleration is the rate at which something speeds up."

There may be some word for what you describing, but it is not "acceleration" which has the specific meaning given above.

Perhaps you mean that since you can't really maintain an exact speed there is always a little bit of acceleration and deceleration going on
exactly

book answers are fine and all but we all know when we say we are accelerating we mean we are stepping on the gas pedal. Im not trying to use every word to their exact meaning as most dont in here, we go by our slang for it. I guess the point Im getting at is, if there is voltage on the gas pedal wire that goes to the throttle body or whatever it goes to, the car thinks it is accelerating as it has no idea wether the car is encreasing speed or not due to the voltage applied by how much the pedal is pushed. Im not doubting the real meaning of acceleration, just using it the way we normaly do when talking about cars in here. Like I was saying about going up a steep hill, you have to basically go WOT to keep the car from losing speed and not necessarily increase speed, and in this sense we are accelerating the gas pedal but nit really the car. I think we are both on the same page just looking at it in a different angle.