Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #44 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
So the compartment (or rectangular whole, from what I can tell from the images) that these units came out of is basically the size and depth of a common battery, huh?
It's not a comparment, it's more of a side-to-side channel through the car, just behind and below the big grey bar you see behind your seats. The Bose Amplifier is also mounted in this channel. Lots of stuff could be fit there, and if I get a Magden (or something similar) I may mount it there. A battery would fit fine too, but I really think I'll end up putting the battery further back just to help with balance.

Quote:
Also, I was unaware of Magden performance computers, so i looked them up. the website looks nice, but not much info, and it seems a lot of features are Coming soon. I am interested in something of this sort, and was looking at Cypher. Do you have any experience with Magdens? Sounds like you need to provide your own screen, they seem to transmit in a variety of signal protocols, so you could just use a random flatscreen, but I am interested in how the information is presented.

Thanks,
Are you talking about Cipher from UpRev? When they finally release their 370Z stuff, I'm planning to set up a laptop with Cipher+Osiris from them for tuning and detailed datalogging, BCM access, etc, etc. The Magden unit is more for use while driving, so I can keep a better eye on some of the ECU stats that we don't have (good) gauges for stock, and set limit alerts, etc. AFAIK the magden already works pretty well from what I've read on forums, etc. They're still releasing new software updates as they go though, to enable more features.

As for screens, Magden recommends and sells a 7" Lilliput touchscreen that works with their unit. For touch input, it needs to be USB (basically mouse/trackball/tablet emulation). What I'd really like to be able to figure out, is how to get a single touch screen with a decent GPS and the magden hooked up, both using the touch interface (switch between the two). Really, I could do that with the recommended Lilliput display and a VGA/USB switch, except I haven't found any decent headless GPS units that have USB touchscreen input... Someday I'll do some googling and get this sorted out.