Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #42 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Also, today I removed my spare and subwoofer (radio actually sounds ok without it, to me), and removed the XM and Voice/Bluetooth modules. I left all the carpeting and plastic in afterwards. No pics, sorry My car is Touring w/o Nav, which is "Bose without Navigation" in the Service Manual. The removed peices are 7, 8, and 9 on this diagram:

The stock head unit responded fine to the changes. The voice buttons on the steering wheel and the SAT button on the radio now just do nothing, there are no wierd errors or anything.

I can slightly feel that the backend got relatively lighter from this, but it's not too bad, since my bag of tools and emergency equipment (which I had behind the passenger seat before) was pretty hefty and made up for some of the lost weight.

The spot I removed those units from looks like a great place for either battery relocation or to install a Magden performance computer. Although on the other hand, mounting them further to the rear (sub/spare) area will help with weight distribution more.