View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
mrcardio
Base Member

Drives: 08 MS3
mrcardio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Very deep answer.

Actually there are several languages spoken there, not just Tagalog. Understanding a culture doesn't make you any less of your ethnicity. I'm proud to be American AND Filipino. No one ever said you only had to pick one. Genetically we all decend from a common ancestor anyway, which renderes all classifications of race meaningless.
Did I say ONLY Tagalog? No, I didn't. Tagalog and English (Yes English) just so happen to be the "official" and most wide spread language of the Philippines. So chances are if you're going to flaunt your "Filipino" heritage you'll at least know the national language, customs, culture, traditions, etc. The Philippines is an archipelago of over 7000 islands so of course there are different dialects’. Yes, one can chose to be “proud” of whatever he /she wants but choosing to represent a nation you know al most nothing is beyond lame. I say if you’re so proud to be “Filipino” learn the national language, culture and actually live there for a few years at the very least. If you feel the same way after that then by all means flaunt your “Filipino Pride”! Otherwise you just look kinda silly.