View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Assuming the oil cooler is mounted higher than the oil pan the oil will run out of the cooler when the car is off, resulting in innaccurate dipstick readings, no?

What size is your cooler? With the lines and cooler only 5.5 quarts seems really low.
It's a 24 row Tru-Cool that Modshack used. It's hard to guestimate, but I wouldn't think the cooler is much taller than the oil level in the pan with the engine off. I had almost 6 quarts in there last night and I was above the H dot when pretty hot. I took off 300cc (~1/3 quart) and now it's just under the H dot when stone cold.

I just don't know any good way to check the oil level with the cooler installed to test the possibility of inaccurate dipsticks with the fittings down. I suppose I could unmount the cooler and hang it down by the ground. Then a dipstick reading should be accurate with the cooler full.