View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
tru_Asiatik
Track Member

Drives: 2009 370Z 6MT
tru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond reputetru_Asiatik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
A bottle of JD might do me and the car both some good today. Been under there too long the past two days, need a real break

Yeah, so I just got done with the exhaust stuff again. It still hits the crossmember. I had it solidly 2 inches off of the thing when everything (boths sides of the cats and on back) was retorqued (with great precision to exactly "omfg I think I just broke my arm" ft/lbs), but then it falls right back onto the crossmember when I let the last bottle jack down. That's just where the hangers hang at. The jack is just lifting the whole thing up on the rubber hangers, and then letting it back down to their limit afterwards.

The upside is, I did find that 2 of the 6 bolts connecting the cats to the headers weren't properly torqued down when I went to loosen them (the hardest ones to reach, which makes sense). They were probably better, but insufficient, earlier on and had now shaken loose enough to notice. Getting that done right got rid of the ugly buzz I was talking about. The exhaust sounds perfect now. There's still a little odd rumble I can hear when the car is at crawling speed, but it's easily identifiable as the the center section vibrating against the crossmember it's laying on. Maybe I can just get some kind of rubber pad that can resist exhaust heat and stuff it between them? I donno at this point. Or shorten the rubber hangers (or bend the posts that go into them) somehow.

That "air pressure" noise I was talking about before is still there, most noticeably when gently engine braking around the 3k-ish region. I think it's just normal, as there's no other indication of a leak in the exhaust note anymore, yet if anything that sound got a little more noticeable. I kinda like it actually, as long as it's nothing bad.

Anyways, I'm not letting the crossmember thing get my spirits down. The car sounds and feels insanely good right now.

I think I'll do the intakes this weekend now for sure, although it may have to wait until Sunday, as I've got a big all-day drinking/bbq -type thing to attend during the day tomorrow.

hi can you take a picture of where it is hitting??
just bought the stillen exhaust/berk hfc combe and want to know ahead of time what to look for when im doing the installation
thank you very much
tru_Asiatik is offline   Reply With Quote