View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
binto100
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Anniv M6
binto100 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_G View Post
I think the only thing I'd be worried about is side to side play in those stands.. have you given the car a good shake from the side? does it wobble any? if not I'd say you are ok.

Only thing though.. much did you spend on wood? I've got these jackstands (3 ton high lift ones) and its plenty high enough to get my big *** under the car.. 25 bux a pair.
The car is rock solid in side to side movement (or any movement for that matter, they don't budge) but it was solid on the Torin's too. I actually bought a pair of those Sears stands last Friday night but when I got them home and out of the box it turned out the tops did not have the little pinch rail groove as depicted in the picture so I took them back. Ultimately I would not have kept them anyway because I didn't want to put the that much load on such a small area of the pinch rail though I know many here do so with no issues. Spreading the load out made sense to me and over-building the stands put me back in my comfort zone. Plus I like the challenge of straight forward work even though it was time consuming.

The wood was not expensive and I already had a chunk of rough planed maple that just needed a few cuts to be ready for the tops. I should have put a 1/8 piece of plate steel on top b/f the hard rubber top insure the maple did not split but I don't think its an issue.

Tonight I felt very comfortable taking the muffler off the car. I removed the four nuts attaching it to the forward tubes, loosened the seven hangar bolts, put my jack underneath the muffler then took the hangar bolts all the way out and lowered the whole assembly. It went very smoothly.

Last edited by binto100; 05-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
binto100 is offline   Reply With Quote