View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
binto100
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Anniv M6
binto100 will become famous soon enough

Okay fellows out of sheer curiosity I contacted a materials testing lab that used to be in the office next door to us and asked them what they would charge to load test to failure one of the Big Red aluminum jack stands. To my amazement (charm?) they agreed to "slip it in" for free during concrete testing with the caveat that I leave the failed unit with them. I'll get to take photographs but will not get any official paperwork. I'll report back on the results.

One of my neighbors stopped by my garage yesterday to chat; he’s the head of flight testing at Boeing and an aeronautical engineer. He walked in the garage, saw the Big Reds and said "nice jacks". Ha ha I relayed the previous few days and he seemed surprised as he felt the pin in the jack was quite substantial. What he or any of us would not know is the manufacturing standard behind the Torin pin but I'm guessing it's not quite the same as a Boeing part.

I'm not defending the Big Red, and I'm sure as hell not getting under the car with them in place, but I am curious, very curious, as to the load a single stand will take before failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
Rep point for sheer tenacity.
Thanks! But seriously, how are rep points accumulated?