View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
steveg78
Track Member

Drives: 09 370Z PG M6 +Sport
steveg78 is on a distinguished road

Good quick reaction. I was in a similar situation last year in my SUV. Coming home from work on a 2lane open highway and towards the end the highway starts to get traffic lights. Everyone is used to flying and a lot of times people misjudge the slow or stopped traffic approaching the lights. Anyway, cars in front of me braked real hard. I braked hard but was sure to leave a good gap in front of me and the car behind me as I was braking hard. All the while I'm watching my rear-view and the car in front of me. We finally come to a stop and I see a huge SUV behind the car behind me...He stops ok too. Then as I am watching the stopped traffic in my rearview, I see the SUV 2 cars being me FLIP from the rear. I mean this truck was rear ended so hard the back end flew up in the air and the car landed UPSIDE DOWN on the roof of the small compact behind me. I watched this in slow motion in my rear-view. I saw the driver and passenger of the huge SUV hanging upside down by their seatbelts and then the SUV jostled off the roof of the compact and onto the street, still upside down. The roof of the compact never caved in and supported the weight of the SUV. The light turned green and I just went. I think I was in shock because when I got home it all hit me and I called my GF and my parents to tell them I loved them. I never saw what actually slammed into the SUV but I talked to 2 of my detective buddies the next day and they told me there was a fatality in that accident. Mark that as another fatality I've witnessed on my way to/from work.

EDIT: And for the guy who doesn't understand the point of an SUV... What do you expect me to tow my boat with? Load my fishing gear into? Haul large stuff around in?

Last edited by steveg78; 05-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
steveg78 is offline   Reply With Quote