View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Ok, I just did some preliminary research on this in the Service Manual and by digging around in the appropriate places in the car. It appears that the rear fog lamp circuit is fully wired all the way to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM is basically a small CPU unit separate from the main ECU that resides down at the bottom of the outer side of the passenger footwell that handles a lot of little body electrical things like wipers, map lights, flashers, headlights, foglights, etc. BCM is covered in the "BCS.pdf" section of the Service Manual.

Pin 24 on connector M120 of the BCM has an orange wire plugged into it which drives the fog light with a 12V signal directly (diagram is on pg 52 of BCS.pdf). I haven't confirmed this with a continuity tester or anything yet, but it's not likely that it's disconnected anywhere in the middle.

Odds are high that if you put a light back there and swapped in the Canadian version of the headlight/wiper control sticks module, it would Just Work, or worst case, would need some programming a dealer could do to enable the fog light.

Alternatively (more likely what I'll try to do), it would be easy to snip the orange wire near the BCM connector and run it to that unused center console switch area.
This is exactly the area where you wire-in the illuminated doors sills. The issue is that pin 24 might be vacant. However, the harness run is through metal protecting clips with room to spare so even if there is no occupied pin or wire it is a straight shot to the block.