View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra1 View Post
dont we already have this setup without the lens cover? Seams like we should should just be able to replace the lens cover. The box and the wiring harness already seam to be there.
Yes, I took mine apart today to look at it. Basically, in place of an actual rear fog lamp, we have a "reflector" (a very poor one) mounted on a box that's the same size/shape a real lamp. There's also already factory wiring coming from the same harnesses as the rest of the rear lighting. The plug is plugged into a dummy socket next to the reflector box, to hold it there in place. Presumably one could buy the real fog lamp unit from the JP/EU models and just plug this connector into it.

The big question mark is: where does the other end of that pair of wires go? I pulled out the little area in the center console that has the cup holder and heated seat switches (empty center switch bay there) - there's no "unused" connectors laying around anywhere obvious under there, so it's not pre-wired to that area. There are no unused control settings on our left stalk that might be prewired to it. I'm lost as to what they did with the other end of the wires.

Most likely, assuming the EU one is controlled from the stalk (can anyone confirm this?), it's probably wired to the harness connector for the stalk, but our stalk just doesn't use those pins, or those wires are simply cut off in the vicinity of the steering column.