View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #165 (permalink)
Red370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: your mom to church
Red370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond reputeRed370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKindaGuy View Post
Before you folks get too carried away with your AP "power" results....if these are "canned" tunes sent to you and were NOT specifically customed to your own car's data...I would at least go to a local dyno and do a pull to get a reading of the A/F ratio.

The reason I caution you is that many of you folks are claiming a noticeable increase in torque. When I received a "canned" tune for my Shelby GT Mustang I too noticed a hell of a SOTP difference in torque.

So I had a dyno-pull done of the car with the "canned" tune installed. I then compared the tune data that was created custom to my particular Shelby using a dyno against the data of my dyno-pull of the "canned" tune that had been sent to me by the programming unit dealer.

And low and behold what I found was that the A/F ratio numbers were showing a very dangerously leaned out condition through the low RPM range which resulted in a very noticeable gain of torque ft-lbs.... ...at which time in the higher RPM range fuel would then be dumped in to richen the mixture and bring the A/F into its "sweet-spot" to maximimze the upper RPM HP power curve.

This canned tune was NOT a reasonablely safe tune to be using. Yes the car acted like a torque monster with that "canned" tune and everything was great and fun. BUT I was destryong the engine in the process of running that tune.

What you guys are posting sounds so eerily familiar to what I experienced. I learned a great lesson from it all as well and that was DON'T ASSUME because a "canned" tune comes from a reputable programming dealer that the tune must be SAFE to use in your particular vehicle.....it is not always the case and you will neer know unless you verify WTF is going on by doing an independent dyno-pull that includes the A/F ratio read.
thanks for the info, I guess I just automatically assume that because its a reputable performance tuning company that they'd sell me a product that would be safe with my car, but just to be even more on the safe side and to see how much more I can pull out of it, i'm having mine tuned further at Cobb in Plano in a few weeks