View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Azathoth
Base Member

Drives: nothing
Azathoth is on a distinguished road

After driving an Automatic for 20yrs, the shift to a manual trans race car (nismo) was a huge wakeup call for me. For awhile, I thought the 'lurching' during takeoff and sometimes into 2nd gear was normal...

Then I spent over an hour on the 'hill' near my house, holding the break and letting out the clutch till it barely engages, then releasing the break and doing the "release the clutch while pushing down the gas in one movement". I must have done this 100+ times. Now, I know my clutch. I can smoothly shift out of first and into 2nd, even @ high rpms.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice Practice Practice (sorry for the bad quote). Just keep practicing. It's taken me over 1000 miles to get the hang of the clutch in the Nismo, and i still lurch it everyonce in awhile... but at least i'm not stalling it on hills anymore!

I even spun the tires for the first time last night. RPMs shot up above 6500 and as I shifted into 2nd gear, I was slammed back into my seat. I had to slow down and pull over and slow my breathing. I was shaking and almost sweating, and grinning from ear to ear.

Cthulhu, I love the Z!
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote