View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
efuseakay
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 G37xS Sedan
efuseakay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown82 View Post
you would see cooler temps and better air flow using one side to bring in air and rearranging the other side to let the air out. that will allow more unused "hot" air to escape and allow for more cooler air to come in. your current setup is very flawed when it comes to the properties of Air if your trying to bring in cooler air. your basically making both those ducts fight for the same volume that one would be better off doing by itself.

trust me. growing up around my grandfather who spent his entire life working on air conditioners and swamp coolers and 5893475987 other cooling devices. and me being brought along. 1 route in and 1 route out always net better performance than 2 routes in and nowhere to escape. in this instance nowhere to escape means those filters are stuck having to suck in in very turbulent air thats being mixed with old and new air.

make one duct specifically to give that air coming in somewhere to escape other than the filters somewhere underneath if possible pointing backwards which would create a vacuum in a perfect setup. this will allow better airflow to the filter, reduce recycled heat soaked air to mix with the fresh air coming in and also act as a natural suction to help bring in air.

think of the top of the line computer cases the best cooling involves a fan to bring air in and one to suck air out. or better yet Turbine engines in airliners. one set of blades is pulling air in. the other set is pushing it out. this is the best and most efficient use of air's natural physics when the systems in not a sealed enclosure.

just my 2 cents. and im not trying to be mr negative just trying to help out
Yeah, turbulence is definitely an issue, as well as in-out... Perhaps a one-side-in full bumper-length piece with two outlets right in front of the filters themselves, and an outlet somewhere out/underneath the passenger side...

Damn... someone could make a fortune if they put together a fancy looking kit with proven gains for the Stillen system! lol
efuseakay is offline   Reply With Quote