View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Al_
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z GT Auto
Al_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Please. A disappointment? That's a bit melodramatic.

Do you live next to the Autobahn? If not, who cares what the top speed is. You won't even hit 165mph on a track.
It's because it's there, I'm talking about an hours fun on a track once per month. On open roads I'm a staunch safety nut.

It's all relative and what you are used to. I lived in Germany for 6 years working on the US Airbases (i'm ex Forces), and used to drive to work at 195mph, and that's only 'cos my BMW topped out there. I used to get overtaken at that speed. You'd slow down to turn off the Autobahn to 120mph.

Their 'slow lane' would typically average 110/120mph, and the fast lane whatever you liked as long as you were in control of your vehicle. You'd get arrested for being rubbish at 70 far more likely by the Police who would ignore you at 200+ - they'd even pull over to get out of your way.

However, the price for that fredom was a driving test that was very hard to pass, probably the hardest in the world IMHO.

So, I can 'park' at 130, whereas you chaps have to suffer having an infrastructure set up to the lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, your system is GREAT, and I love it ever time I come over, and yours is miles better than any other I've been on particularly the UK system with it's outdated lane priority model. But it does tend to over-sensitize you chaps to a few extra MPH and have your eyes glued to your speedos instead of looking out of the window.

Regards,
Al.