View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #85 (permalink)
nuTinmuch
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: PG 7AT 370Z
nuTinmuch is a jewel in the roughnuTinmuch is a jewel in the roughnuTinmuch is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to nuTinmuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
First post! (new to the forum)

I'm considering purchasing a Z, but I'm a little hesitant because of the visibility. I have an 07 Altima and the nissans I've driven don't have as good visibility on the left side as the Hondas I own. The issue isn't really the mirror, but rather the headrest that is in the way when I turn my head to the left. The mirrors do provide a very accurate portrayal of my altima's surroundings, but in NJ, someone's always in the lane where you want to go. I always peer to the left cautiously as a "doublecheck" before I move to another spot. I'm not sure if anyone else has an altima or an accord, but I'd appreciate comparison from anyone else's experiences.
This was my biggest concern about buying this car. Every review I read had something like "terrifying blindspot" or something similar printed in it. I sat in the car and adjusted the mirrors properly and my fears completely went away.

Why?

The thing is, most people think they know how to adjust their mirrors but they really don't. I drive on NJ roads (and highways) all the time. Hell, my first 60 miles in the car were from a dealership in PA all the way home on the turnpike. I didn't even "have a feel" for the car yet and I still felt completely safe.

How To Eliminate The Dreaded "Blind Spot"

This is a pretty good guide that illustrates what you should be doing. The only "blind spot" that this won't prevent will be the case where your mirrors block your side view -- but this is easily fixed by craning your next forward which you probably do naturally when you are driving anyway.

Also I drove a G5 (Cobalt) before this and that had extremely good visibility -- trust me, it isn't any more challenging. You'll be fine.