View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY wooden Shift knob.

i have thought about swapping out the shift knob but i dont think i want to go with something metal b/c of the temperature issues in summer and winter. Then i had the idea of making my own wooden shifter on a lathe, using some exotic woods. (i have access to a lathe at my college ( i have 2 months left) and my friend is a wood design major. My concerns would lie in two areas.

1: shape. Cylindrical like the nismo aftermarket ones, or Round like the oem ones.

2: fitment. I was thinking of using the oem metal base underneath the stock gearshifter, Is this fitment something i could easily fabricate myself, or would i be better off using the actual fitment from the OEM shifter? If so would any of you who swapped out your gear shiftknob and either mangled your shifter, or simple have no use for it anymore be willing to send me yours? (at no cost to you)

Last edited by Jeffblue; 03-11-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: posted poll twice by accident.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote