View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #1029 (permalink)
Kyle@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Kyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
Mixing higher and lower octane fuels to achieve a middle ground is a long-standing practice and hasn't resulted in any catastrophies that I know of. But, even if there were an inherent risk, you wouldn't be risking customer's cars on it, no? You would be mixing on your own car to produce a 93 octane base map tune for your flash that comes with the kit. Or am I missing something here?
You are correct, and we have done that in the past on some vehicle's. For example, I mix 100 octane with 91 octane on my dirtbike all the time.

But, if we are preparing a tune on our car using a 91 mix with 100 octane and say we don't get it 100% right and we end up with say 95 octane fuel...Then we're sending out a tune to our customer's who are in states with 93 octane hoping that the fuel we had in our car was truly 93...when in fact it was 95 and therefore the tune is going to be too aggressive.

is that a better explanation?

Basically...it doesn't matter what fuel is in our car...we can tune for it...but to trust that the fuel that we're using is truly 93 octane and then to send that tune to a customer...THAT's what puts the customer's car in danger.

Another wrench in the works is that California has oxygenated fuel which also sucks...We have really crappy fuel out here.

Last edited by Kyle@STILLEN; 03-10-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Kyle@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote