View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #859 (permalink)
Kyle@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Kyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few reasons why we have not released what PSI that test was at. The primary reason for releasing the dyno without boost numbers to follow was simply to show the capabilities of this kit without even pushing it hard. I assure you, that dyno was performed at less than 10 psi.

The main reason we do not want to release a horsepower figure in relation to a boost level is because the car we were testing on (G37 auto trans. with large 20" show wheels) was less than ideal. We are currently in the process of switching the kit to the manual gearbox 370Z with stock wheels which should be improved due to its more efficient drivetrain. It is very possible that running less boost on our Z will produce the same numbers that we saw on the G and people would say but wait...the horsepower is the same but your boost is lower...So, rather than having any confusion at all, we are switching to the more efficient car and from here on out will stay with the Z.

Also, that was a prototype run...Look at the date on the dyno, that was back on the 19th. Since then we've changed our prototype charge pipe and a few other pieces.

All we wanted to do was show the early development of the supercharger to show that it has more potential than the VQ35 supercharger did. Again, we were running less than 10 psi, and we are doing all of our tuning on 91 octane pump gas.

When we have our finished production kit we will have a finalized dyno showing the horsepower of the kit and of course we will list what psi we are running. Right now, it's too early to confuse everything until the kit is completed.

In regards to running 10 psi on other Vortech kits. I don't know why Vortech chooses to run 10 psi. I assume it's because they feel that the engines can handle it pretty safely. Perhaps it's because the compression ratio on the Mustang GT is only 9.8:1 which is significantly lower than the compression ratio of the VQ37 at 11:1

I agree with you completely. The percentage gain between the base test and the final test after installation of a supercharger should be the same as the manufacturer's after taking everything into consideration. To say that the final rear wheel number should be at least identical I can't really agree with because there are a lot of things that need to be considered such as elevation, air temperature, transmission, wheels...But yes, the percentage of horsepower gain between baselines should be relatively similar.

Last edited by Kyle@STILLEN; 03-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Kyle@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote