View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #182 (permalink)
HTP AutoWorks
Banned

Drives: G35, Jeep SRT-8
HTP AutoWorks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsteve View Post
Well if it stops chips from rocks that are hitting the car at the speed of light why dont they just make the final clear coat this stuff from the factory. LOL

But really what makes it so strong as to not allow a chip from a sharp rock colliding at a couple hundred miles per hour. I cant watch the video right now as youtube is blocked at my work place so I will watch it tonight.
It is what the material is made out of. It absorbds the energy of the rock and spreads the impact out over the surface. Its very durable from punctures... but if the rock is large enough it can go through the film along with the panel. Its not bulletproof but will stop rocks from damaging your paint. This stuff has been on the market for about 20 years. So if it didnt work it would not still be around.

Auto manufacturers do not provide this from the factory because it takes a long time to install. Some cars do come with it in areas already... Porsches in front of the rear wheels, Ford GTs along the rocker panels... just to name a few. But those areas are simple flat areas that do not take any skill or time to apply the film. A full bumper is much different and takes much more time. Then there is the cost for applying it.
HTP AutoWorks is offline   Reply With Quote