View Single Post
Old 08-05-2024, 10:16 AM   #1044 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Found a little time to get more of the engine together over the weekend and worked on low hanging fruit. The motion raceworks billet valve covers came with IGN1-A coil mounts. My AMP EFI coil packs have heat sinks which interfered with the bracket. I had to grind off a bit of material to make them work. I guess why I'm showing this is because even though you purchase a solution it could still require modification. This has been my experience for nearly everything. I'm not upset about it at all, just pointing out the reality. Clearance was easily made with a finger sander (awesome tool! highly recommended)

The water pump was polished with a small Chinese orange drill pad and m105 because there were swamp water spots that didn't exactly wipe off. The block also has embedded block that doesn't want to scrub off either. The swamp is part of the character of the build on the block as far as I'm concerned. It is what it is.

Starter and engine mounts were also put on. I'm thanking my past self because I bagged all the bolts with labels, which made my life easy. Even the engine mounts were labeled with direction (because if you remember I put those on backwards before and attempted to drop the engine in the car (which didn't work).

The scavenger had interference issues with the oil pan and dipstick. The bandsaw came in handy for this one because I was able to trim the heat sink for the oil pump. Bottom mounting tabs were cut off and I had to notch where the dipstick interfered. After the scavenger was finished mounted you can easily see that the pump lined up absolutely perfect for the timing cover turbo drain. That was a concern of mine. Previously the drain went into the pain. The timing cover drain is a WAY better solution for my need and is clean.

Valley pan, lower plenum, and upper plenum were put on to ensure nothing goes down the cylinders. I'd rather not take the heads off again. I've got to say... it looks WAY better than the twin intake. I'm very happy with all the components and changes that have been made along the way. Functionally nailing down all the stuff I didn't like previously. Aesthetically it is looking really pleasing to look at.

OH, last thought. The first picture you will see proper plenum studs! The old heads got donated to the shop because the old heads were slightly off on those holes due to them getting stripped out a long while back. Putting the lower plenum on was SO MUCH EASIER THAN THE Holley plenum.

I feel much better about the engine getting stored over winter if I can't get back to the engine build due to college commitments.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote