View Single Post
Old 07-30-2024, 03:58 AM   #6444 (permalink)
filip00
Track Member

Drives: 370z pack
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
Yes, a number of our veteran users here have OS Giken. Check out the track section and search for "giken" and you should get a bunch of feedback.

It does heat up so it needs a diff cooler. Hardware isn't that bad it seems, but some wiring is needed. You can do an on/off switch or attach it to a temp sensor to trigger at a certain mark. All told, it's another $1,000 on top of the diff, plus you have to use OS Giken fluid and change it every year or so.

Performance wise, it's awesome, but effort is high.

Wavetrack is a compromise. Drop it in, no cooler needed, fluid doesn't need to be swapped nearly as often, and streetable.

I have a VLSD (came with the nismo), which is fine for now since I'm still learning. Next season I will look into stepping up to Wavetrac or OS Giken.

I think I saw you at Thunder Hill - were you at Speed SF earlier in July?

I'm not sure about the yearly oil change in OS Giken LSDs. I have one for 3 years now. I did the first oil change after 500 miles, as break in procedure. The second oil change was then done again after a year, because I swapped the final drive. Next change I plan after 20K miles or so.

Also, OS Giken themselves are saying this:

Quote:
Fluid changes at normal factory intervals: OS recommends the first fluid change after 1 event or 500-1000miles in order to flush out debris left over from the manufacturing process. Subsequent changes are recommended at the normal factory-recommended intervals. Quiet/composed for normal street driving: Since OS LSD offers smooth, progressive locking up to 100% with a low amount of preload, it will feel like an open diff at slow speeds, but will still efficiently transfer power to the ground under load.