View Single Post
Old 07-19-2024, 09:45 AM   #1041 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Another loose end tied up. The rear emblem was sanded and polished then fitted to the bumpers. They're a touch off of OEM but not bad at all.

Lessons learned from this project have been great. One of the biggest debates internally is the lettering on the emblem. It's a mixed bag. For me, the lettering is imperfectly awesome and looks amazing when you stand back a bit. MOST everyone is about 2-3' away from a car even when checking them out. Also, this is a hand crafted object on the FIRST iteration. It's not an excuse to be slopy on a project, but a realization that growth happens every time you sharpen a skill. That's the nature of how learning works, nerds.

While I was push mowing my lawn last night (Yeah, I do that) I was considering different methods of making the lettering crisp. Someone on Reddit suggested cutting vinyl. Someone else suggested painting. Both of those methods would still be difficult because of how the emblem is embossed. Where I landed, whilst mowing, was 3D scanning the mold and then printing lettering separate that would have the exact same surface contour of the lettering but slightly smaller. This would allow me to paint, foil, or vinyl lettering any way I want. This will be a great starter project after I pick up a scanner and printer in January. Ultimately, getting the scanner and printer was my next thing I wanted to do anyway. Now I have a use case.

Anyway... These emblems turned out great for the first set. Appreciate the people that have followed on IG and reached out to me and left comments. That's very encouraging when there's a wall of work for completion that must be knocked down.

I'd give them a 7/10 for a quality score. I'm picky. Just because I make something doesn't change standards.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote