View Single Post
Old 07-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #1038 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

There was a recent Z meet at Madwai's place. In fact, most of the people that are still active on this form were likely there... lol Anyway... I was able to help my buddy Scott with a cross over pipe for his LS 370z turbo car. He was basically at the spot where he wanted to burn down his car because nothing goes as planned. Brother, I know this more than anyone. With that said, I was VERY happy to help. Although... I wish the AC was on in the garage. It was REALLY humid. Rusty was able to weld up the pipe after the pipe was fitted. There were some gaps, but nothing terrible. I've seen him weld way worse.

Progression is still moving forward on the carbon emblems. I used a file and sand paper to get excess carbon off. Then I was able to test the emblem on the rear bumper and I'm happy to say it fit with the correct curve. I then broke out the foil leaf and tried my hand at getting that laid into the "NISSAN" lettering. I've never worked with foil leaf but I can assure you getting the glue perfect is the key. I messed up one emblem and had to start over. Q-tips were used to put the glue in which made a mess. Incorrectly I assumed I could just rub off the foil/glue in the areas that had excess. Wrong. That just made a mess. I then changed to a tooth pick to dot glue in and that worked (poorly). Last attempt I used a stiff brush to paint the glue in. That worked perfectly, go figure using the correct tool for the job.

Last picture shows a skim coat of epoxy over the foil and blemishes. I just need to sand the part so it's leveled out and then use automotive clear. Automotive clear sounds easy right? Well.... I've never mixed up clear to shoot out of a spray gun, so this should be interesting when I get to that this weekend.

Update on the car... well.... I'm kind of in a holding pattern. I need the heads from the machine shop. Once I get that, I can assemble the long block and dump the engine/trans into the chassis. I'm not certain I can get that done over the next few months unfortunately. I have my last three classes due for my bachelor's degree and I'm going to focus on that mostly. My car will likely collect some dust with or with out the engine in the chassis until that is done.

As much as I want this project done this year... It's not worth sacrificing work, school, family (most important). Updates will be slow.

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote