View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 07:48 AM   #1022 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday was a marathon getting the k-member back to the car. All the small hardware bits needed to go back on the knuckle and the brake lines had to be oriented correctly. I have Alldata now for the technical specification, because I've been using it for torque specs, so that was really helpful. That being said, I had to put the shock and FUCA on in a specific order because of interference issues. Pictures make it look like it took 5min, not 6-7hrs I was messing with everything.

That being said, it's looks and feels like I'm assembling a new car (because it is). I didn't have that same feeling last time I was going through everything. The SPL end link bolts were bent pretty bad, and I'm pretty happy about that (seriously). Energy was transferred from the driver's side 2 piece rotor getting sheered off into the hub to end link, and then sway bar. All those items were replaced. I had some light damage on the brake cooler due to the wheel hub or 2 piece rotor. A hammer and vice grips were to get that right.

Ghostvette suggested that I chase some of the threads so I sprang for a Chinese thread chase kit. Normally when I decide that I want to chase a thread, I'm missing the kit. It's nice having that option now because I used it a whole bunch already!.

The real MVP of this weekend was my lift cart. I first had to remove the 4L80e that was sitting on it myself, SUPER heavy. Then I wheeled right over to the subframe to lift it off to the car. SO EASY.

Ya know... maybe I should load the engine, transmission, and k-member outside of the car... That might just happen vs using a picker. Good thing about having the k-member on currently is that I can get the front wheels on. After the rear subframe gets loaded, I can move the car into the garage. I really hate that the car is in my driveway covered. The neighborhood likely hates it worse.

End result of all this work is looking REALLY good in person. Not sure if the pictures are doing the justice here. I think that the "gray" (looks titanium) looks really rad on the steering knuckles. I wasn't completely sold when spraying that part.

Next up: Bend new hardlines for front and rear brake lines. Rear subframe removal/install. Then we can see what the drag wheels actually look like on.

Edit - I push mowed the grass after 6-7hrs of doing the subframe... Slightly sore today. lol

I think I took the brake lines off and adjusted them after this picture.

Last edited by gbrettin; 05-06-2024 at 08:06 AM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote