View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 04:13 PM   #6323 (permalink)
Tractionless
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv129 View Post
Nice!! played with the idea of a tranny swap on the wife’s car for a few sec. Why not the new 9AT? Either way, I heard the VR30 7at has better shifts and logics. Congrats
I haven't seen any info. on 9AT fitment yet and figured it would be very expensive considering they're mostly brand new if they do fit. I'm thinking being the Z needs to retain its TCM marriage with the Z ECU (have to swap the Z TCM into the VR30), I doubt the 7AT TCM will control a 9AT.

My '10 101k 7AT was having issues with flair-ups when shifting in both manual and auto mode. When downshifting in manual mode there was a "double bump" upon catching the lower gear; almost like a blown mount slop feeling but the mounts are fine, so it seems the slop was within the Z trans. Also, when downshifting in manual mode, instead of holding the gear down to 1,500 rpm then freewheeling (normal Z trans. operation), the Z trans. revs would frequently fall from as high as 2,700 rpm causing freewheeling instead of holding the gear like a manual.

The 2018 VR30 trans with 60k I sourced remedied all of the above, rev matching is much faster and the VR30 was $375 with the torque converter included! FYI, you DO NOT need a Red Sport model trans. as the only difference between it and the other VR30 trans.' is the RS TCM has the same rev match downshift feature as the Z TCM you're swapping in anyway. Otherwise, all the other hardware within both trans.' are the same per Godzilla Racing.

The only quirk I'm left with is the harsh 3-4th gear shift for which I've already done the TCM update which fixed the issue for a few months then resurfaced in the Z trans, unfortunately that carried over to the VR30. I work around it in both trans' by lightly lifting off the accelerator slightly to lessen torque demand thereby commanding a "lighter" shift which is smoother. I wish ECUtek had a TCM reset option like the ECU, being it doesn't my only chance at a TCM reset/relearn would be disconnecting the battery and then all systems start anew.

I had the ECUTek torque modulation for the Z trans. set at 130% of OE which is too harsh for the VR30 trans. as the shifts are so abrupt the car lurches forward lifting the front end (within the suspension travel) during high throttle position shifts. I know the VR30 vs. Z trans. OE For OE shift logic is more aggressive in the VR (most likely due to valve body design and different solenoids), so I'll be adjusting the torque modulation within the tune to suit my needs during future drives. I only got about 10 miles in after finishing this weekend before rain started for 2+ days but I'm VERY happy with the results thus far.