View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #11782 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
It was more a statement in response to ignoring the statements I made. Discussion points arguing the validity/semantics of the policy are completely irrelevant to the basic underlying concept I was referring to which is the owner of the forum is allowed to make up whatever rules they want. Sure you can ask all those questions, but the answers aren't going to change the policy. Politics could be whatever interpretation they want to enforce. The broader the interpretation, the easier it is to shut things down quickly when they get dumb. I never even brought up my opinions on the validity of the policy because they don't matter.

And believe me, I was never trying to insinuate that you are causing trouble. I appreciate your ability to have a valid conversation regardless of the topic.

My point is a car forum is not expected to be a place to get political information. So you can't be upset at the operator for banning political discussions. I still don't understand this strong desire to discuss political topics on a car forum. Sure, there are people on this forum whose opinions I respect and take into consideration when I make my own opinions. And I would be happy to have many conversations with them. But I didn't come to this forum for their political expertise. I came here for car knowledge and I happened to find other people who, come to find out, are knowledgeable about a lot more than just cars.

Which, again, is why I completely understand the rule banning politics on this forum. Head off those dumb discussions before they get started. The world is not missing out because this forum doesn't allow political discussions. Have you employed people before? Sometimes it does not behoove you to give others the benefit of the doubt, especially when you are responsible for their actions and have to put in too much energy correcting their behavior when things go south. If I were running the forum I can tell you my mindset would be that the trouble caused from political discussions getting out of hand is nowhere near worth the positive discussions that could be had.

You heard me. I'm just trying to make sure everyone realizes how serious I am about all this. I.e. not at all
Not looking to change policies, but only asking for clarification. No harm in doing that.

I agree that a car forum should be only about cars, but given that this particular thread is an off-topic thread, I’ve seen a variety of topics discussed in here.

IMO, it’s not so much a strong desire to discuss any topics in particular, but rather having the ability to talk about any topics ad lib and no censorship. I can understand why there are policies in place to prohibit certain topics, but as I mentioned before, it’s not the topics that are the issue, but rather how members reach/respond to them. Some people can’t seem to hold their sh!t together.