View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #290 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zsteve View Post
I'll give you points for paint quality, it's thin. (although I think that many here don't take into consideration that the tendency to chip is much higher on a low-nosed sports car). The quality of the build of this car is extremely high, I don't get your comment at all.
You're right, the build quality, overall, is quite high on this car. But it's hard to produce a car that yields so much bang for the buck without cutting at least a corner or two, that's all I'm saying. i.e., it wouldn't surprise me if they shaved some cost by using non-premium fluids for the factory fill. To be clear, I'm not claiming that I know for a fact that they did this. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they did is all. Regarding the paint, it's not so much the tendency to chip that I'm flagging. As you rightly point out, it's quite normal for such a low-nosed sports car. What I find remarkable is the tendency to chip right to bare metal so easily. Thankfully, I don't have too many chips due to my ClearBra, but where I do have chips, every single one exposes bare metal (rather than some middle layer or even primer coat). So it would appear that this is an area where Nissan shaved some cost. I don't entirely blame them though, because again, with so much bang for the buck, it's only natural that they'd take a shortcut or two where they can to keep cost down. Indeed, I think Nissan is to be commended for not taking even more shortcuts. The Z is truly an outstanding value for the money, IMO.