View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #930 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

(Used the same text from FB)
Had a bit of free time today so I worked on my 370z cubby mount. One side of the mold is going to be used for a universal mold for boost gauges, small tablets, or what ever needs to be mounted. The other side is more specific to my car (don't worry about that). Anyway... I had to chip away carefully for a long while to get the plug out of the mold's death grip because I didn't sauce up the release wax good enough. 36 and 80 grit was used to knock down the face. After knocking the mold down there were some uncured mold bits that needed to be dug out and filled with extremely hot fiberglass.

-----

Let me say this here: This mold is awesome now! It may look not special but it's a beautiful sight to me. I was able to get the plug out which was a huge concern of mine, specifically gouging the mold. After MANY MANY MANY hours it's getting close. A Discord group I'm part of tipped me off to some polishing wheels for my drill so I will be able to make this mold ultra slippery to release. That will also help the final look too.

making a legit mold for CF is much harder than skinning parts.

Last thought... that fiberglass was WAY hot. I had all but 3-4min to work with it.

Last edited by gbrettin; 11-07-2022 at 01:41 PM.
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote