View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
THE BULL
Base Member

Drives: G37S
THE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammeowwwwww View Post
So I'm also in NorCal and regularly visit Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, I'll actually be back at Laguna in 2 days .
I've noticed that as I've gotten faster, the hobby has gotten more expensive and the car runs hotter. Who would have thought LOL.

My main question for this thread is if it would be best to keep the oil cooling independent from the coolant? While tracking in 107F, My oil temps would get to 260 in 3 hot laps. I start to cool down, peak at my coolant gauge, and it's 1 dot in the red LOL or from it... I don't remember.

Would this be due to the coolant providing additional cooling to the extremely hot oil? Or is the oil being cooled efficiently, and heated up going through the oem cooler, defeating the purpose of the 34 row?

I can't honestly remember the routing. Is it from the pickup>filter>z1 cooler>oem cooler> engine? Or something else?

Just questions for debate. While I agree that it's a pain working with the filter, I don't mind the extra work for additional cooling.
Delete it, the Oem cooler's capabilities are superseded tremendously by an external cooler. It also has a con which is the heating of the oil by design since the coolant sees a faster rise in temp than oil. Once oil passes 215F it starts to play an effect on the coolant as they're both trying to influence one another they both end up rising with time X load.

Divorcing both fluid systems is the way to go. Understand that its not the way to go for a production vehicle, one that needs to perform the same in North Russia as well as in the Mojave which is why the cooler and heater come in. By design this becomes an issue once performance is applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Let me just "hijack" this thread and ask a sufficiently on-topic question so that I'm not hated

I'm looking into buying an oil cooler kit, and I was thinking about the 25 or so row kit from Z1. I have a stock 370z without the oil cooler. Does the kit include *everything* needed, such as holder for the filter that's long enough (or the sandwich plate fits the stock one?), as well as other stuff? I know this might be in some of the other threads, but I felt now is the right time to jump in here and ask
Not to sound like an ******* however Z1 as well as CZP do a fantastic pictoral job with their products.

If you check out the Z1 kit you'll see it brings all of the brackets to hold the cooler, the way it gets the oil out/in the engine is by a plate, you'd have to specify if you want thermostatic plate or not in which you should do thermostatic.

For you it would just take removing the oil filter stud and installing the Z1 plate with the new stud. The end look will be a similar to OEM with Oil cooler/warmer plate, instead of water it would be seeing oil in/out.
The kit is made as a "bolt on" piece and instructions will yield proper installation. Best part about a system like that is once the plate an lines are ran any additional temp control can be adjusted with a switch to a bigger/smaller cooler.

A big enough cooler will just see more cycling of the thermostatic plate vs a medium size. The plate controls all of the temperature which is why is so important.
THE BULL is offline   Reply With Quote