View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
TobinH
Base Member

Drives: 2016 370Z Base Manua
TobinH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcgodsword View Post
Just joined the Z fam recently, and want to get into some light mods to maximize performance. I have a 2016 Nismo with 7AT (don't kill me pls) and want add some bolt-ons. I'm pretty unexperienced with modding cars, so I just want to make sure the mods I want to get are going to be worthwhile. The main goal here is performance, but have to keep in mind I live in Portland and have to pass DEQ tests every time I renew.

Please let me know if these would be some good places to start:
  • Z1 Cold Air Intakes
  • Invidia Gemini Exhaust (Not trying to be loud with my exhaust)
  • Possibly some headers
  • Tune

I've also been eyeballing the the Z1 400hp kit. Like I said, performance is the goal here, just want to be a little quicker and faster(without sounding like a rice rocket), so any recommendations are welcome.
I'm gonna be a bit contrary here (all IMO, of course), and suggest that if performance is your goal, power should probably be the last area you look at.

If you have stock wheels, you're probably running a 245 front tire - this platform needs at least a 265 in the front, and whatever suits your power goals in the rear. Then you'll likely want a stiffer front sway bar, Hotchkis is a popular choice. You may find the the rear of the car a bit 'squishy' at this point, there are various options to firm it up.

But - this depends what 'performance' means to you. A lot of folks buy this car to do 'highway pulls'. IMO, they'd be happier with a V8 Mustang, but regardless, if this is you then yes you'll want to chase power.

Still others are more interested in the 'aesthetics' of performance. They don't want to really go fast, they want a car that gives off that fast 'vibe'. This is where exhausts and intakes and 20" wheels come in. The gains are pretty minimal, sometimes actually negative, but you get the right sounds and look.

It's wise to figure out what you really want before spending money.
TobinH is offline   Reply With Quote