Thread: Wueros tt build
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #122 (permalink)
Wuero370z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 Nissan 370z
Wuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond reputeWuero370z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I am with Elmo on that clutch, OSGiken will say the same thing too. When we were running Justins Z a few years ago, tons of 10 second passes and the 9.9, all on stock drivetrain other than his OSG triple. He kept the driveline alive by letting the clutch take the abuse and slipping it, never dumping it. So on inspection, as expected, the clutch was really burned up. I had a conversation with OSG about setting us up with all the parts to rebuild and upgrade it to a quad plate, and they advised us against it, say that if we are going to drag race the car often its going to kill the driveline and be very hard to modulate/slip and grab very hard on power shifts.

You may not produce more engine torque by changing a clutch, but when you launch or upshift you are dumping energy stored in the rotating assembly of the engine into the driveline. When quickly releasing the clutch pedal, to instantly decelerate the flywheel you are putting all that energy into the driveline... that is what causes the tire chirp on a hard shift for example, the engine didn't produce that extra bit of torque momentarily, you just offloaded inertial energy / momentum from the flywheel and crank.

I had the OSG Twin in my Z, and it was somewhat difficult to modulate well. I felt it was vastly improved with the RJM adjustable fulcrum peddle. Justins triple, was harder to modulate, so he was doing some good foot work to keep his drivetrain in one piece. Basically his clutch was the same as mine, probably the same pressure plate, just an additional friction disk and plate dropped in.. so now 6 friction surfaces instead of 4. Your clutch will have 4 plates, so now 8 friction surfaces, and I imagine the same pressure plate I had... so its going to have twice as much friction as my clutch which I already felt was hard to modulate well.

I loved my OSG clutch, but if I were in your shoes I would probably call them and ask about getting the basket parts to convert it into a triple or twin. Or at least have a conversation with them to see if they tell you the same thing. Its a modular assembly so its just a matter of if they have the parts around or not. I dont know if the hub is interchangeable though.. I would think not but maybe.

I greatly appreciate this. I couldn’t find much info on drivability and doesn’t seem like anyone has actually ran it so wasn’t going with much….

The way the specialty clutch is designed doesn’t really allow for much slip and I already have the rjm pedal. I figured anything with friction disc was going to allow more slip and help to spread that load out more.

I need to call them and see about swapping to a twin or triple if the quad is going to increase stress to the driveline. The on/off switch I have now is obviously my issue as I’m no where near his power and I’m still snapping everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wuero370z is offline   Reply With Quote