View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
babyzilla
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 15 Nismo Tech 6MT
babyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond reputebabyzilla has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would not leave a USB dongle like that in the car in high heat, especially TX heat. Although there are no batteries in a USB, it really depends how the PCB was developed and to what standard. I'm guessing in this case it's probably a level one (the higher you go, the more critical the system). I would guess after a prolonged exposure to high heat, it may impact the solder joints on the PCB which could eventually lead to improper connection, so unless you can rework micro chips...lol
Another thing is heat cycles. This is like a general rule of thumb with electronics. Avoid high heat exposure and heat cycles as this essentially reduces the life of the electronic. Although the memory on a USB is non-volatile (meaning the data will be stored w/o power) there are only a finite number of cycles data can be transferred, and exposure to heat can expedite this process potentially leaving you with corrupted data (useless).

Usually an electronics ability to withstand high heat is a marketing factor because it is made to a higher standard. That's why some drives are more expensive than others and why some dash cams are cheaper (because they usually contain a crappy battery that will expand in the heat and literally implode whereas higher end dash cams come with capacitors and are hardwired to your car).

EDIT: I just realized this had nothing to do with OP's original comment and I got carried away with the last post lol. Although it has already been answered - no, it doesn't matter! I did the same thing. I'm not aware of the key fob range issue though.
babyzilla is offline   Reply With Quote