View Single Post
Old 02-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zerafian
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13' MB 370z
Zerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond reputeZerafian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carfax randomly added an accident to my report (input welcome)

Ill try to keep this short. Im posting about it to see if anyone else has ever experienced this. Ive done some reading about this happening to others on reddit, so its not like Im the first, but Im a bit confused right now.

I bought my Z the first week of February, 2018. Ive owned it for a little over 4 years and decided to sell it recently. A friend of mine works at a dealership and ran the carfax report for me. He comes back and shows there was a "moderate" damage report on my car.

When I bought the car, the carfax was clean, with no accidents. When I looked closer at the new report, the accident apparently happened in October 2015 with front and rear damage and air bag deployment. Carfax recorded it on Feb 22, 2018, over 3 years after the accident actually happened....and about 15 days after I actually bought the car.

Ive taken my car apart quite a lot during my ownership and never noticed any signs of an accident bad enough to cause an airbag deployment. Along with that, the body shop Ive taken it to never recognized any fitment issues when installing parts. Everything behind the bumpers looks the exact same on both sides, no scratches or wear. The suspension has the same exact aging on both the left and the right (9 year old car at this point). Literally zero signs that this car has ever been in an accident to cause an airbag deployment.

I ran the report on a couple other sites but Im not sure it even matters since carfax is the go to for everyone. I dont think Ill ever be able to trust a carfax report, ever again. Both scenarios: A. Its incorrectly placing an accident on my car or B. It took over 3 years for carfax to register the accident. The fact it came up 2 weeks after I bought it is also suspect, crazy timing for sure.

If any of you all have thoughts about this, feel free to drop them below. Im pissed since I cant actually put the blame on anyone besides the carfax....a damn website thats suppose to be reliable and actually helpful for people.

Ive also sent in an inquiry to carfax saying their was an error in their report. Ill keep the thread updated when I hear back!

LC500 exhaust set uphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7DiA43ZYw&t

Last edited by Zerafian; 02-28-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Zerafian is offline   Reply With Quote