Thread: My 2010 Sport
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 10:08 PM   #317 (permalink)
sirnixalot
Track Member

Drives: 2010 370Z
sirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond reputesirnixalot has a reputation beyond repute

Took some time off work and decided I wanted to punish myself by tackling my dashboard. It has the cracks and peeling that is common and since a used dash is going to be $1k by the time I get it, figured I would try covering it in a basic wet lay up “forged” carbon fiber.

How it started

After heating and scraping the plastic crap off the foam. I also decided to smooth in the gauges, some 2” pvc pipe and body filler got the result I was after.

Had to use some filler in a few spots, then a coat of glazing putty. I sanded it very lightly with 220grit

Using a half pound of 1/4” carbon flakes and epoxy resin I got 3 layers. Was a pain in the *** because you can’t brush on the resin, will just end up with clumps of grey hair. So after the epoxy set up I had to drizzle on more then toss more flakes on.

Current status. I have about another 6 hours of sanding with 80grit to do a final brush on of epoxy to fill in any small pin holes. After that I have some tinted and matted PPG high solid clear to be the final layer.