View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #552 (permalink)
redondoaveb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Nismo Gunmetal
redondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond reputeredondoaveb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBacon View Post
I didn't go into much detail but that was effectively my point when I said a clean k&n filter is capable of flowing enough air to support 15psi given all belt slip is eliminated. Clearly that mesh screen you used couldn't flow enough air to support the desired boost. As the k&n filter becomes dirty and airflow is restricted one of two things will happen, the belts will either begin to slip as the drag on them is increased or you will simply lose boost. It seems around the 6 month mark with fairly often driving is when the filter needs to be replaced or cleaned to prevent that.

I have a turboguard on the car at the moment but I've never checked what peak boost it's making, I would assume it's still probably about the same.
You could be right about the k&n being capable of supporting 15 psi. My car made close to 11 psi with it and the 9lb pulley. Once I started experimenting with pulleys I went to the turboguard. One of the reasons I went with the turboguard instead of the filter is how much of a pain in the azz it was to change the filter. I probably should have done a filter vs turboguard test when my car was on the dyno.
Fast Intentions "Stage Seb" twin turbo #098- Specialty Z/Tial-Xonarotor/CJM/Ecutek/HKS/KW/SPL/Hotchkis/Rohana/Toyo
700+whp
redondoaveb is offline   Reply With Quote